Thursday, June 4, 2015

$20 DIY Headboard

My bed now currently does not have a headboard. For the past year, making my own headboard has been in the back of my mind to do, however, I never actually got around to doing it. I have been taking large boxes home from work to use as packing boxes for moving and came across a super large heavy duty one. I thought it would be the perfect size for my headboard and I just got in the groove to complete it!
I have a full size bed, so first I drew my design on the cardboard with the correct dimensions. You can really do whatever design you would prefer. So many options!
I then used an X-ACTO knife to cut out the headboard. After that, I used batting from Joann Fabric to cover the cardboard and make it cushy. I wrapped the batting around the back and used a mini stapler to attach it. I doubled the batting to make it a bit thicker than just one layer.
I did the same thing with the fabric that I chose as I did with the batting. I picked a grey, jersey/stretchy type of material. When it rang up at the cash register it came up as jegging material. I would suggest a knit, jersey type material because it was easy to pull and stretch as well as it did not have any wrinkles. A thicker material would have been a lot more difficult to attach and give a tight appearance. I also noticed a lot of other fabrics in the store attracted a lot of lint/hair. I used my mini stapler to attach the fabric as well (too easy!!).
After that, it was done! It still looks a bit plain to me, so I may add some pearled push pins to give it a quilted appearance. The best part about this project, the price!
     -Batting on sale for 50% off: $7.99
     -Fabric on sale for 40% off: $14.00

There you have it! Super easy and cheap headboard! I don't know why I put it off for so long. I am super excited to put it in my new place!

No comments:

Post a Comment