Thursday, June 25, 2015

Moving Time!


Let me start off by saying, I have no idea how my parents moved sooo many times...especially with children! It is exhausting! Most of my time these past 2 weeks have been consumed with moving stuff: setting up electricity, wifi, renters insurance, etc. I was a bit ambitious and went out to buy my own router and modem for my internet instead of paying monthly to rent TimeWarner's router/modem. The budget conscious side of me said it was a no brainer to save money in the long run, the tech savvy side of me is not sure if it will be a smart decision to set it up myself...so we will see how that turns out!
On a more fun note, I have been doing a lot of shopping! I can not stop raving about the store At Home. I am not sure if it is just local, or where the other locations are. It is about the size of Sam's Club but the inside of Home Goods with better organization, if you're following me. As you can tell by my cart, I hit the jackpot with pillows and some furniture. Speaking of furniture, I have not really bought much, except for a few little things. The stand in my cart is either going to be a nightstand or an end table for my "living room". I also bought a dresser from Goodwill and redid it, not really loving how it looks. The handles were indented in so I couldn't change the knobs so spray paint had to do. That dresser may be going in the closet where no one can see it. I Googled the brand of dresser and found out the bigger version of that antique was going for $4000 on Ebay, I should've just sold it!!! I found another little table which I may use as an entry console or a TV stand, but I have a feeling my TV may look funny on such a small table. It was in the damaged section of At Home so it was super cheap...and oddly, I could't find any damage (it will probably fall apart one day), so I repainted it and changed the knob. 
Funny story: so I ordered a couch to the house I am living at now, which is a duplex. I got home from work and saw a huge box on my porch, it looked a lot skinnier from the driveway. When I actually saw the box up close I had no idea what I was going to do, I just wanted to get it in the front door and leave it at the bottom of the stairs. The problem was, the box was about the size of the entire space at the bottom of the stairs. My struggle...how to shut the door. I had to shove the box half way up the stairs awkwardly in a dress with one arm/shoulder/thigh while the other arm tried to close the door behind me, not the mention that the stairs are much steeper than regular stairs. I might have forgotten to mention this was a 135lb box since I just had to order a couch with a sleep away sofa, so it really was a couch and a twin bed. Let's just say, after a few curse words, sweat and a miracle, it is finally shut. Proper lifting mechanics were thrown out the window, today my back is killing me! This must be what it is like to live alone, oh joy!

Honestly, the majority of packing I have saved for this weekend, so I have a fun weekend ahead of me. I don't know why I have been dragging my feet with it, I just hate living in this half packed house.  I have been driving past my apartment building like a stalker making sure the renovations are happening and I did see they were working in it. Last night I reached an all time low and almost got out of my care and peek in the windows, but I told myself how psycho I was and drove away. I will just have to be patient and believe the property manager when she said it will be done next week. She did schedule a meeting with me for next Wednesday to get the keys (so I am assuming it will be done on time!!), so I will be able to move in all my little stuff Wednesday. The movers are coming Thursday night to move the rest of my boxes and furniture. I am stressed, sad about leaving my current place, but most of all super excited to have a place of my own and start this new chapter of my life! Stay tuned for more updates once I am actually moved in!

1 comment:

  1. Nice DIY projects you have going. I would have loved to see you get the couch into your house :) still don't know how you did it? Moving day is coming soon for you!!

    ReplyDelete